Remedial massage treats musculoskeletal pain or disfunction caused by the stresses and strains of everyday living. Sometimes these are caused by:
- Your posture (or your skeletal structure)
- Your occupation (your job, hobbies, etc.)
- Environmental factors (e.g. excessive cold or heat)
- Your emotional state (e.g. depression)
- Your medical state (physical disability, pre- or post-surgery, systemic illness or disease)
Remedial massage uses techniques which have been around for centuries and soft tissue manipulation techniques, including: soft tissue release (STR), muscle energy techniques (MET), and neuromuscular techniques (NMT). In addition, some remedial exercise might be used to help treat or prevent further injury.
Remember that anyone can benefit from the techniques used - not just people who participate in sport.
TECHNIQUES WHICH MAY BE USED INCLUDE:
- Soft Tissue Release
- Muscular Energy Techniques
- Neuromuscular Techniques
- Positional Release
- Myofascial Techniques
- Effleurage, petrissage, friction